Here’s another simple idea for creating nature connections even if you’re short on outdoor space or don’t have a garden.
Posting a little late in the year as Caroline took the main photo to enter into the Young Herb Photographer of the Year award with the RHS. She didn’t win, so now we can post!
Why not enter next year? Let Kids of the Wild know if you do.
Plant up your old wellies or walking boots
1. Take one pair of holey old wellies, preferably patterned and definitely not suitable for hand-me-downs.
2. Create drainage holes if they’re not already holey enough.
3. Fill with compost.
4. Plant herb seeds or young plants in each welly.
5. Water in, stand in a sunny spot and watch them grow.
6. Take some silly pictures and post them to Kids of the Wild’s Facebook page.
These don’t even require a garden, stand them on the doorstep if you’re short on outdoor space but make sure to water them regularly if they don’t get much rain.