Puddings often get forgotten on camping trips so what better way to launch our urban cookfire recipe collection than with a simply delicious 5-minute pudding recipe that the kids will LOVE. Add a dash of ginger wine for a sneaky treat for the adults too!
Julia’s Ginger and Raspberry Cookfire Custard
This recipe is from one of my best friends who made this pudding regularly on solo camping trips when she lived in the States.
It’s great for the campfire as you can leave the milk boiling gently while you eat the main meal, or on a fire that is losing heat after cooking. It couldn’t be simpler.
It’s probably not great for your waistline, so plan a long hike the next day!
You will Need
- Large bowl for making the custard
- Spoon for measuring and mixing
- Custard powder
- Fresh Raspberries
- Ginger biscuits
- Ginger Wine (shh, don’t tell the kids!)
What to Do
- Make up the custard mix with hot milk, according to packet instructions
- Pour the hot custard equally into serving bowls
- Break a couple of ginger biscuits (or 5) into each bowl
- Sprinkle fresh raspberries over the top
- Splash in the ginger wine for those partaking
- Mix well – it’s a real kids pudding so give it a good mash up!
Hot Pink Pudding
For an even easier pudding use packets of ready made custard which need to be warmed through on the fire, or swap the custard powder for raspberry blancmange mix for a really hot pink pudding.
Scrumdiddlyumptious, or De-yum as we say!